PAYING IT FORWARD: kidney cancer patients and their loved ones sharing personal journeys and information obtained along the way, providing support to those who will unfortunately follow our paths while also honoring those who came before us.

Chain of Love: reaching forward with one hand to those who paved the path before us, reaching behind us with the other hand to those who will unfortunately follow our journey.

We Share Because We Care : Warriors Share Their Personal Kidney Cancer Journey


These stories are for the copyright of this blog only. Please do not copy personal stories without asking permission from the individual who wrote the story. Thank You!




Saturday, April 2, 2011

April 2011: Allison Rodgers

Featured and Written By:
Allison Rodgers


Me before kidney cancer


Me and my daughter after surgery and Sutent

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio as I have most of my life. I have only been married once and have one amazing daughter, who is now 30 years old and working on her Master's Degree in Social Work. I have attached a before kidney cancer/Sutent picture and an after surgery/Sutent picture. In the bottom picture, I had been off Sutent I believe about 6 weeks or more.

My kidney cancer journey started on June 20th 2009 at the age of 50. I was a runner and did a really hot race down in TN, called the, "RC Cola Moon Pie 10 Miler." It was a miserable humid day, a hilly course, and I hadn't been feeling well for a while: fatigue, weight loss, and back pain. I attributed most of this to work and didn't worry about it. So, I did the race. It was 100 degrees when I crossed the finish line in the morning! I felt really bad after the race but hung out with my friends.

I had driven a friend and I had to drive home since she didn't know how to drive a stick shift. I was so sick I was afraid I was going to pass out while driving. I couldn't really eat or drink anything either. I got home late that night around 8 p.m. and went to bed. I woke up around 1 a.m. with bad heart palpitations and really feeling bad. So, I went to the ER and they said I was severely dehydrated (took five bags of fluid). A doctor decided I might have some kind of colitis that runners sometimes get so he ordered a CT scan. Two days later, I have a Urologist and an Oncologist in my hospital room and they said that I had a cancerous tumor on my right kidney. I was in shock and disbelief as I take care of myself. I eat healthy, mostly organic/vegetarian and workout. How can this be? I was only 50 and went to the doctor like once a year for a sinus infection. They then did a chest CT scan and brain MRI since RCC tends to go to either place. Both came back clear thankfully. I then had the difficult job of telling my one and only daughter about the cancer. It was very hard as we are very close, best friends. As expected, she did not take it well. 

The doctor scheduled surgery quickly and on July 2, 2009, I had a radical right nephrectomy with partial adrenal gland removal. Surgery was very painful and I was in the hospital about 8 days. I lost a lot of weight and was very scared. The Urologist said though to not worry, he got it all out. No problem. 

In August, my Urologist had me setup an appointment with the Oncologist. He waltzed in smiling with my pathology report and then proceeded to tell me that I was a stage 3a, grade 2 RCC and that my chance of recurrence was high. He said I needed to see his clinical trial nurse and walked out. I freaked out at about this time and had a panic attack again (my 1st one was at hospital when they told me it was cancerous). 

I went home and prayed, talked to family members. I didn't like the idea of being a guinea pig in a trial. I decided to get a second opinion, which led to a third opinion at OSU - James Cancer Center in Columbus, OH. I really trusted the third doctor and liked him, but couldn't see myself driving to Columbus constantly as I live in Cincinnati. So, he said the second doctor I had seen was good and I called to make my first oncology appointment.

The first week with this doctor was hell as they tried to run every test imaginable to see if I could do the Nexavar/Sutent study. I was there every day for about 8 hours each day. Blood taken, MRI's, ct scans, MUGA scans, mammogram (which showed a lump in my breast, thankfully turned out to be a cyst), etc. My creatinine levels were high so they took blood each day, hydrated me on IV fluids and then took blood again to see if they could do scans with contrast. It was a nerve-wracking week.

So, in the meantime, I felt like I had a nervous breakdown and had to be hospitalized for my nerves. I was put on an antidepressant, an anti-anxiety drug and a sleeping pill, which helped tremendously! I could barely eat or sleep and couldn't afford to lose anymore weight. (I weighed 99 lbs. after surgery).

I finally started the trial in September 2009. I made it five cycles, all of which were really hard on me. I got the standard mouth sores, hand/foot sores, high blood pressure, hair turned white then started falling out. I turned yellow the first cycle so I knew I was on Sutent. I had read the side effects and had opened a capsule and saw that it is orange/yellow powder inside. When they took me off, my platelets were down to 58k, my white blood cells and red blood cells were all low, and I was anemic, but NED!

I was glad to be off Sutent, but scared to be off of it all at the same time. But, life does go on. I started seeing a great Nephrologist too.  She has helped a great deal as she gives me advice about supplements and my diet to protect my lone kidney. She actually listens to me and spends time with me.

I use prayer and meditation to help me when I feel stressed, and I still take an antidepressant. I have a huge support system with my family, friends, and church community. People came over very often bringing food and prayers. I am truly blessed and all those months on the couch sick made me realize how blessed and fortunate I am. I took life and people for granted before. I no longer do that. Having cancer strengthened my faith and has made me closer to God. I used to be very negative and now have a more positive attitude. It took cancer for God to get my attention and I am thankful to have a second chance. I know that no matter what happens with my health, that I am never alone. God is with me and I have my support group.

I live each day as it comes now. I try not to think of the future at all. My scans/labs are now every 4.5 months instead of every 3 months because my Nephrologist is worried about the function of my one kidney.  I know all will be well though. I have changed my eating habits and stopped all my supplements that were probably affecting my numbers. My last scans in October 2010 showed a nodule in my left lung, but the Oncologist thinks it is just an infection so I did two rounds of antibiotics. I am praying that it will be gone on March 15th when I have my scans again (ab/pelvis/chest).  If it's still there, I will have to have a biopsy. I do get nervous when the scans are due, but I am staying positive!!

I am 52 now and looking forward to my two year "surga-versary" as I call it. I still have fatigue and some other slight side affects, but am progressing. The more time that passes, the better I know I will feel. I am really grateful for Facebook, for the Kidney Cancer Warriors and the RCC group as well. It is such a great support system!

The day after surgery with my sister on the left and my daughter on the right



Moon Pie Race Tenn 2009
The race where I got dehydrated, followed by a hospital visit and my kidney cancer diagnosis


 
My daughter Melinda and her fiance Mark


3 months after surgery and before Sutent was started

No comments: