PAYING IT FORWARD: kidney cancer patients and their loved ones sharing personal journeys and information obtained along the way, providing support to those who will unfortunately follow our paths while also honoring those who came before us.

Chain of Love: reaching forward with one hand to those who paved the path before us, reaching behind us with the other hand to those who will unfortunately follow our journey.

We Share Because We Care : Warriors Share Their Personal Kidney Cancer Journey


These stories are for the copyright of this blog only. Please do not copy personal stories without asking permission from the individual who wrote the story. Thank You!




Sunday, December 12, 2010

August 2010: Grant Hastie (kiwigrant)

Featuring and Written By: 
Grant Hastie (kiwigrant)

(as shared previously in blog - location of story moved; still looking forward to his full story.)


Grant has Given Permission To Share His Story as Written by him on KCA and FB.  (His Full Story Perhaps At a Later Date)



KCA Forum Post: December 5, 2009 

After being on the online chat last week, I have been encouraged to tell my story. I am 51 year old male living in New Zealand. In July, my family and I went on a South Pacific cruise, two days out to sea, I started passing blood in my urine, so off to the ships hospital, nasty blood clots and a few other adventures. Yes, i did complete the cruise - after all, I had paid for it (that's my Scottish heritage). Once back home, I had a kidney x-ray, ultra-sound, then CT scan. Diagnosis RCC Stage 3b, 13 cm tumour with renal vein and inferior vena cava involvement! I had to wait six weeks for full open racial nephrectomy, had a 6 1/2 hour surgery, 19 units of blood and woke up in ICU. Pathology showed good clearance on everything removed with no adrenal gland or lymph node involvement. All pretty good really. I've had a great recovery. I'm back at work, walking every day and cycling 3 or 5 times a week and I feel great. I had my first follow-up this week and was told I had multiple mets to both lungs, had an urgent CT, the results of which said multiple mets to both lungs consistent with the previous CT. I'm in total shock as the first CT was prior to the surgery in September and this is the first I have heard about this!!! I have now been referred to an Oncologist but have yet to get an appointment. My surgeon has suggested the best treatment is likely to be Sutent; however, this is not funded in NZ so I have to work out how to fund this. I've already had many emotions shock at original diagnosis, relief after surgery, anger about the current mess up, but overwhelmingly determination, stubbornness and sheer bloody mindedness to fight and beat this disease!!! I must add this has been greatly helped by all the reading of everyone else's experiences. Does anyone have ideas about treatment, what to expect, do mets grow quickly, is surgery an option or any other inspirational info? After my rant, I have to say I feel great, went for a bike ride yesterday, and have a fantastic wife supporting me. I look forward to hearing from you all.


KCA Forum Post: December 6, 2009

Wow! Great response. You are right about surprises and the more I read, the more common it appears to occur. I have described to my wife the mets are just chapter two and I feel that there are a whole lot more chapters in this book!!! Still, as stated, I'm a fighter and pretty positive - if you ever see any change in that attitude on my posts, feel free to remind me about attitude, I certainly won't be offended and I sense that I may occasionally need a kick in the butt to keep me on track! Thanks for coming back so quickly. It really does help. Cheers and Merry Christmas. Grant


KCA Forum Post: February 2, 2010 


I have been advised that I have over 30 tumours in my lungs. some of which are 4-5cm in size. That was a bit of a shock but I am sure we can give them a pretty hard time!!! I am doing two courses of Sutent, then we will do scans to see what benefit we see from that. Then decide what treatment to use from there. I do a bit of cycling and find that the exercise really helps my breathing, energy levels and stress levels a lot. I ride 6 or 7 days a week and average about 140km a week. I am currently training for a 130km cycle ride around Lake Brunner in April. I'm looking forward to that. I am 8 days into my first course of Sutent and find I can still exercise ok, but its a bit harder. The Brunner Ride coincides with my 14 day off period of my 2nd cycle which is great. It's a great feeling to go out riding and be able to kick some butt - and I'm supposed to be sick!!! Remember, life is for living - I've stopped idling and am getting on with it!


KCA Forum Post: February 23, 2010


Well, I'm pleased to be able to say that I have just finished cycle one of Sutent and have been able to cycle my way through it. I have been told many times that the best way to combat fatigue is exercise so that's exactly what I did. I have to say that when I ride my bike, it helps me in three ways: obviously, the fitness combats the fatigue; it's a great stress reliever; and it's great for your head. I can guarantee that when you are pushing yourself physically, the farthest thing from your mind is rcc, which I know for me seems to be able to intrude into my thoughts a fair bit, and also because I am physically tired it helps me sleep. Again, insomnia seems to go with the territory for a lot of rcc'ers. Most days, I can start a ride tired, find the first 10 minutes pretty tough, then enjoy the rest of the ride and feel great for hours afterwards. On the days I just didn't have the energy to ride, I would walk, well shuffle actually some days!!! I can absolutely guarantee that it helps. Try it for yourself. For the 28 days I was on Sutent, I managed to ride 453km or 284 miles!!! Week one 97km (60 miles), week two 150km (95 miles), week three 100km (62 miles) and week four 106 km (67 miles). All Good - No Worries!


Facebook Post: April 11, 2010 


Hey everyone, I got some great news today, had an oncologist appointment and got my scan results. After two courses of Sutent, I have had better than 50% shrinkage and some tumours have disappeared completely!!! Yahoo - party time!


1st year anniversary from diagnoses: July 17, 2009
Surgery: Sept 10, 2009


Grant Hastie
New Zealand




Thanks Grant for sharing your inspiring story with us! You are truly a blessing to all who are fortunate to neet you if even only virtually!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive