PAYING IT FORWARD: kidney cancer patients and their loved ones sharing personal journeys and information obtained along the way, providing support to those who will unfortunately follow our paths while also honoring those who came before us.

Chain of Love: reaching forward with one hand to those who paved the path before us, reaching behind us with the other hand to those who will unfortunately follow our journey.

We Share Because We Care : Warriors Share Their Personal Kidney Cancer Journey


These stories are for the copyright of this blog only. Please do not copy personal stories without asking permission from the individual who wrote the story. Thank You!




Sunday, December 12, 2010

June 2010: Raymond Myers, Sr.

Featuring and Written By:
Raymond Myers, Sr.




Hi. My name is Ray Myers and I have kidney cancer. I'm the father of twin boys and the grandfather of five wonderful grandchildren (ages from 13 to 4). My wife and I live in central Pennsylvania.

My journey started on April 25, 2008, when the doctor told me I had cancer. A few days before, I had gone into the hospital thinking my asthma had kicked up again. They took x-rays, found something at the bottom of the picture, and ordered an MRI. After reviewing the results of the MRI, the doctor told me it looked like cancer. I asked him what we could do about it and he said surgery. So I saw a surgeon in May 2008 and on June 18, 2008, I had a laproscopic radical left nephrectomy. The surgeon told me everything looked good and he thought he got it all. Still, I would still need to have follow-up MRI's for awhile.


In January 2009, I had my first follow-up MRI which showed I had two enlarged lymph nodes. In February, I had another laproscopic surgery. The surgeon said he found several pockets of cancer and it had gone into the lining of the kidney pouch. They did not remove anything and diagnosed me with Stage 4 kidney cancer. I saw a cancer doctor (oncologist) and was started on Sutent in March 2009. I took a 50mg capsule every day for 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off (28 days on Sutent and then 14 days off). I had a lot of side effects. I lost my sense of taste, got bloody noses, my feet got callouses and became very sensitive and then there were the mussel cramps. I took 11 six-week cycles with each cycle consisting of 4 weeks on/2 weeks off.


In January 1, 2010, I got very sick and went into the hospital again. The Sutent was stopped. In February, I needed two units of whole blood. Two days later, I had to have fluid drawn from my abdomen. The following weekend, I went back into the hospital for four more units of whole blood.


In March 2010, I was started on Nexavar 400mg twice a day every day. I feel great on the Nexavar with no noticeable side effects. On March 31, 2010, I had an MRI and was told the cancer was stable. I had to have fluid drawn from my abdomen again and was told this will have to be done every so often.


The only thing change in my life I have noticed since being diagnosed with cancer is that I feel tired most of the time. I sleep a lot more than I ever have in the past. I get played out easy and use a scouter when in stores. Other than that, I don't feel bad about having kidney cancer. I also have a new found love for the Relay for Life with the American Cancer Society. I love to talk about my diagnosis and kidney cancer and would love to talk to others with my kind of cancer. Oh! I almost forgot - I haven't felt any pain with this cancer!


Update 6/3/10:  On May 28, 2010, I went to the ER.  They drained 8 liters of fluid from my abdomen.  I already had an appointment scheduled for June 7, 2010, but the pressure just got too bad.  I was told to keep that appointment because there was still 2 liters of fluid in my abdomen and it would need to be drained again.  Outside of that & not really eating, I'm currently doing okay.


Thank you for reading my journey with kidney cancer. May God bless each of you.


Ray Myers

Central PA



Ray is no longer with us.  He won his battle against kidney cancer and will live on in the hearts of those who knew and loved him.

No comments:

Blog Archive