PAYING IT FORWARD: kidney cancer patients and their loved ones sharing personal journeys and information obtained along the way, providing support to those who will unfortunately follow our paths while also honoring those who came before us.

Chain of Love: reaching forward with one hand to those who paved the path before us, reaching behind us with the other hand to those who will unfortunately follow our journey.

We Share Because We Care : Warriors Share Their Personal Kidney Cancer Journey


These stories are for the copyright of this blog only. Please do not copy personal stories without asking permission from the individual who wrote the story. Thank You!




Sunday, December 12, 2010

June 2010: Jay Zwerling (Jayz)


Featuring and Written By:

Jay Zwerling (Jayz)



My name is Jay Zwerling. Over the past several years I was getting into more and more healthy eating and lifestyle, after several years of yo-yoing. I would go to the gym 6 days/week, 4 of those days at 4am. There was a regular group of us. I also began running regularly with a friend of mine. At the age of 40, I decided to run a marathon with my friend; in November 2008, at the age of 41, I ran the NYC marathon. In May 2009, I ran the Long Branch half marathon. My running partner and I agreed we would look to run a full marathon every fall, one or two half marathons each year and then some smaller 5ks, etc, which all had a good charitable tie to the event. In July 2009, three days after beginning my training for the Philadelphia marathon, I had blood in my urine. Thinking it was runner’s hematuria, I didn’t feel worried or that concerned. However, I decided to go and see my doctor who happens to be a hematologist and an oncologist. He wasn’t alarmed but said it was more blood than to be from running and perhaps it’s a polyp or a kidney stone. I went for CT scan the next day and my life changed forever.

At the age of 42 (now 43), father of a 10 year old son (now 11) and husband to a wonderful woman, I was blindsided to find out that I had a 10cm tumor on my left kidney. Subsequent tests indicated potential spread to the lung. Cancer - it was something of which I was blissfully ignorant. And Kidney Cancer - What is that? I spent the weekend devastated and then realized this is the reality, it is not some nightmare and I must start the fight against it. To date, it has been a tough fight; however, I was told from the beginning that this is going to be a roller coaster ride, and not to let good news get you too high or bad news get you too low. I truly believe one’s attitude is a large part of this fight and one must maintain positive thinking for as many of the 24 hours of a day as possible. Yes, there are times (you will note this if you read my caringbridge site) that positive thoughts are the furthest thing from my mind. It is a fight, a tough fight if you’re stage 4; however, with the new targeted therapies and the right attitude, it’s a fight that can last a long, long time and one which can be won.

Following my diagnosis, in August 2009, I had my left kidney removed via laproscropic surgery. In November 2009, my first scans post surgery confirmed that I had metastases in my lung and medialstinal and hilar adenopathy. I decided to go for High Dose IL2, the only potential long term curative treatment for Kidney Cancer. In December 2009, I went through the HD-IL2 treatment. In February 2010, the scans showed slight progression of the existing mets and potential pelvic peritoneal metastases. My oncologist and I decided to wait 6 weeks to see the next scans. In March 2010, 5 days after running the NYC 1/2 Marathon, my scans showed slight progression of the existing mets, confirmation of the pelvic peritoneal metastases and new liver metastases and intra-abdominal peritoneal metastases. Therefore, clearly HD-IL2 did not work for me. In April 2010, I started the targeted therapy Votrient, the newest approved therapy. I have continued to work, exercise and live my life to the fullest.

The above is my basic story, more of my story can be found on my caringbridge site - the link below. While I would prefer to have never become a member of the kidney cancer family, I can tell you that one of the best blessings that I have received is the number of new friends I have made that are in this battle together. Together, with a positive attitude, we shall beat this.

All my best,

Jay Z

www.caringbridge.org/visit/jayz



Sadly, Jay, 43, passed away Friday, February 18, 2011
He won his battle against kidney cancer and will live on in the hearts of those who knew and loved him!

No comments:

Blog Archive