PAYING IT FORWARD: kidney cancer patients and their loved ones sharing personal journeys and information obtained along the way, providing support to those who will unfortunately follow our paths while also honoring those who came before us.

Chain of Love: reaching forward with one hand to those who paved the path before us, reaching behind us with the other hand to those who will unfortunately follow our journey.

We Share Because We Care : Warriors Share Their Personal Kidney Cancer Journey


These stories are for the copyright of this blog only. Please do not copy personal stories without asking permission from the individual who wrote the story. Thank You!




Sunday, December 12, 2010

July 2010: Barb Young Bogart

Featuring and Written By:
Barb Young Bogart

Kidney Cancer Warriors Support Group Member
aka Barbntx on KCA Forums and KCW/Chat



Hi there, my name is Barb Bogart. I am 44 years old and have been cancer free for 2 years now. I have been married to my husband, Don, for 27 years and we have 3 children and 6 grandchildren. My husband works for an Engineering firm and we travel with his job. Our home is a 39 foot RV (fifth wheel camper). We travel all over the United States and really enjoy it.

In April 2007, we were in a town in Eastern Kansas and in the process of moving to another Kansas town in the more south central part of Kansas. I noticed blood in my urine right before our move and went into a urgent care clinic. I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and given antibiotics. We were only in our new town a few days when a tornado wiped out my sisters town about an hour from us. For over a week, in May, I stayed with her and other family members helping her out. It was then that I had to go back to another doctor. The blood had returned in my urine, I felt sick, achy and had chills. He, too, diagnosed me with a urinary tract infection (UTI) and gave me a stronger dose of antibiotics.

In June 2007, I was again having the blood in my urine and found an internists. A series of blood work was obtained. A little history about me and my medical checkups. I had not had a physical since 1988. It was now 2007. Not good at all! But, I was scared to go in. I was afraid they would tell me I was dying. The blood work only showed that I was anemic; but, everything else looked fine. I was so relieved. More antibiotics were ordered. If it showed up again, he would then order a CT scan.

On June 27, 2007, I awoke to severe stomach cramps. I'd had these before on and off for the past 6 years. Did I go get them checked out before, well NO. Why? I didn't want to know there was something serious causing the pain. This time, however, I couldn't take the pain. It was like I was in labor. My husband came home and took me to the ER. A CT scan was ordered and there it was, a tumor on my left kidney almost 10cm. I saw my doctor later that day, then a Nephrologist the next day, and I met with a urologist in Wichita by the end of that same week.

On July 3, 2007, I was admitted into the hospital for my doctor to do a "look and see", that's what I call it anyways. When I woke up, I immediately asked him to tell me what he found. It was cancer. In that moment, I fell completely apart and my husband was allowed to come in to the recovery room. The next few weeks, it was like I was a zombie. I was walking and talking, but it was like my mind was completely missing. I was so numb.

I believe now that God put us in that town at that time for a reason. He knew I was going to need my family around me for support. You see, Don and I had gone to school only an hour away from where we were living at that time. I had sisters, aunts, uncles, Don's parents and my daughter all within 5 hours of me.

July 19, 2007, I was re-admitted into the hospital. There were at least 20 family members there for me. I was scared to death. I had a radical nephrectomy and a complete hysterectomy. The mass they had seen on my ovaries turned out to be severe endometriosis. (The mass on my ovaries was scene at the same time they found the tumor on my kidney. A biopsy was done the day before my nephrectomy and hysterectomy. They came into the surgery prep area about 30 minutes before surgery to tell me that the mass on my ovary wasn't cancer. What a relief that was. I just knew that I had cancer everywhere.)

I was diagnosed with Stage II transitional cell carcinoma on July 19th, 2007. TCC is a rare form of kidney cancer and is similar to bladder cancer. I was in the hospital for 7 days. In October 2007, at my first three month checkup, I had a cystoscopy. This is where they put a tube into your bladder to look around. They found a small tumor on my bladder wall and removed it there in the office. This is called a TURB. Three months later, in January of 2008, I went back in for another cystoscopy and there again were 2 tumors. This time, I was checked into the hospital, the tumors were removed, and then they did what is called a bladder wash using a chemo called mytomycin. Since that time, I have been free of cancer.

I had 3 month follow-up appointments for the first year and I am now on a yearly screening schedule. I have changed doctors and am seen by Dr. Andrew Stephenson, a Urologist Oncologist, at the Cleveland Clinic. We were living in Canton, Ohio, with my husbands job and it was time for my annual check up. I had heard the Cleveland Clinic was top notch in the country. So, I decided to make an appoinment there. Dr. Stephenson is more thorough than any of my pevious doctors and that is why I've decided to continue being seen by him annually regardless of where we are living at the time. I will be traveling to see him in June 21, 2010, for my annual exam.

Don has been very supportive, he is the ultimate optimist. He was so strong through it all and still is. He knows how I get when it comes close to scan time. He took it pretty hard when we heard the news. I think I checked out when they said it was cancer. I don't know what I would have done without him. Our kids have been wonderful through the whole ordeal as well. Sheana, our daughter, came and stayed with us during my surgery. Our oldest son lived too far to come up to Kansas at the time and our youngest son was in Iraq. They are a great bunch of kids that have huge caring hearts.

I feel very fortunate that I have not had to go through as much as so many others diagnosed with kidney cancer. I have learned so much from having cancer enter my life.

Strength.....to keep fighting this awful disease

Patience......waiting days to hear results of tests

Love...........there are so many people around me that love me.

Knowledge....learning all about my cancer and how to help myself stay informed.

Looking back there were other signs that something was wrong. I was tired all the time, I felt dizzy at times. I ate Sonic ice like there was no tomorrow. Seriously, I bought a bag a day. No one wants to think that they might be sick so we try to continue our daily lives. I have learned my lesson and I listen to my body. I never miss a doctors appointment now and when it's time to be screened for something, I do it.

We only have this one time on earth and I plan on making the best of it. Best wishes to all of you that are fighting this cancer. Although, I don't like being part of this kidney cancer family, I have met some wonderful people because of cancer.

Barb
Corpus Christi, Texas
Travel with husband's work - Currently Mississippi

No comments:

Blog Archive