PAYING IT FORWARD: kidney cancer patients and their loved ones sharing personal journeys and information obtained along the way, providing support to those who will unfortunately follow our paths while also honoring those who came before us.

Chain of Love: reaching forward with one hand to those who paved the path before us, reaching behind us with the other hand to those who will unfortunately follow our journey.

We Share Because We Care : Warriors Share Their Personal Kidney Cancer Journey


These stories are for the copyright of this blog only. Please do not copy personal stories without asking permission from the individual who wrote the story. Thank You!




Sunday, December 12, 2010

July 2010: Josie Furney

Featuring and Written By:
Josie Furney






My story by Josie Furney

I was diagnosed when I was 36. I had a sharp pain in my back and the doctor called me in for a urine test. Then, said she wanted me checked for kidney stones.  I went in reluctantly and had a scan. I recieved a phone call stating that I had tumors on my kidney and my liver.  I needed further tests to verify everything. I was scared; but, thankfully, I had some angels by my side - my friends and family. I have 3 furry children and lots of furry shelter kids. I work in a pharmacy and on my time off, I volunteer at a no-kill shelter in Greeley, CO, and have been doing so for 8 + years. My father had several kinds of cancer from skin, lung, and lastly brain cancer which took his life. My dads side of the family also has cancer history with lung and breast cancers but no one with kidney cancer in the family. I followed up with a uroligist for the first year.  Then, for the last year and a half, I've followed up with my regular doctor.  I had surgery on April 22, 2008, and am know 2 years cancer-free. there are liver tumors that are being monitored - "keeping an eye on." They feel these are blood tumors and not carcinoma.  I had renal cell carcinoma, Stage 1, I believe.

I would tell anyone going through any type of cancer to do there follow-ups.  They are not pleasant and can be expensive; but its so good hearing "its all clear."  Cancer changed me by reminding me to live more and be more aware of the little things.

No comments:

Blog Archive