PAYING IT FORWARD: kidney cancer patients and their loved ones sharing personal journeys and information obtained along the way, providing support to those who will unfortunately follow our paths while also honoring those who came before us.

Chain of Love: reaching forward with one hand to those who paved the path before us, reaching behind us with the other hand to those who will unfortunately follow our journey.

We Share Because We Care : Warriors Share Their Personal Kidney Cancer Journey


These stories are for the copyright of this blog only. Please do not copy personal stories without asking permission from the individual who wrote the story. Thank You!




Sunday, December 12, 2010

June 2010: Charles Monteleone (Chaz)

Featuring and Written By:
Charles Monteleone (Chaz)




At the age of 47, in September 2007, I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer. I had a 9.5 cm tumor on my left kidney and the cancer had spread to my right kidney, both lungs and liver.

I had returned from a convention in Las Vegas for work. I had not been feeling well during the trip. I was tired, sluggish; felt bloated and felt discomfort on my left side. I even passed some blood in my urine. I had passed some blood in my urine about six months prior but thought nothing of it, as it never happened again. After a few days of still feeling bloated and passing blood again, I thought I should see a doctor and find out what was going on. The local doctor sent me for a blood test and then recommended I see a urologist.


My wife went with me to the appointment with the urologist. I had a procedure done where the doctor used a scope to check my bladder and prostrate. Then, I had a CT scan. I was told I had a tumor on the kidney and that it had to be removed. I was then sent for an additional CT scan and later advised that the cancer had spread. Needless to say, my world came crushing down and all I could say to my wife of 23 years was “I am sorry. “


Since I live only 45 minutes away from Duke University Medical Center, a top cancer treatment hospital, I sought a second opinion. I was hoping the original diagnosis was a mistake. However, they confirmed it was not a mis-diagnosis. I was told there is no cure but it can be treated. What the hell does that really mean?


So the plan was to remove my left kidney and after six weeks of recuperation, I would have the choice of taking sutent or look at the possibility of High Dose Interleukin 2. I went to Charlotte Blumenthal Cancer Center to find out more about Interleukin and got a very good education of kidney cancer by the oncologist. I decided, however, to go the sutent routine first and see what happened.


Prior to the operation, I had a bone scan, brain and pelvic MRI, chest CT scan; more check x-rays, blood work and an EKG. Then, on the Monday after Thanksgiving at 5 a.m., I was at Duke and headed in for the operation. I was hooked up to tubes, wires, and they stuck a line in my back for anesthesia (epideral) at 7:30 a.m. That was the last thing I remember until sometime late that afternoon. I wake up in the recovery room with tubes and wires attached to me everywhere. They had to give me blood to bring up my blood pressure. I eventually ended up in the ICU and, later that evening, received more blood.


The following morning, my left lung collapsed and I was having trouble breathing. The doctors rushed in to my room just as my wife arrived. A portable chest x-ray was done. They marked a spot on my back and drained about 1 liter of fluid from my lung. Wow, I could breathe again. The next day I was moved to a step down unit, some where between the level of an ICU unit and a regular room. I had a follow-up chest x-ray. Then, I had a scope procedure so they could see the inside of my lungs. They were looking for possible intrusion of lung tumors. At this time, I did not know how many tumors were on the lungs except that there were multiple. I was too scared to ask how many.


So after six week to recoup and 36 staples later, I was ready to meet the oncologist and find out the game plan. First, I got up enough nerve to ask how many tumors are multiple. I was told I had about a dozen tumors bilaterally on my lungs, two on my liver and two on the remaining right kidney. On December 28, 2007, I started taking sutent 50 mg – 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off. The first thing I noticed was the metal taste in my mouth. Food was starting to taste different. Then the stomach and digestive problems kicked in.


In March of 2008, I had my first set of scans after starting sutent. They reveal I had a 50% reduction in tumor size. More scans June 2008 showed tumors still decreasing in size and some had disappeared. By September 2008, there are two small spots on my liver that the doctors identify as a benign cyst and two small tumors on my lung they believe to be dead or inactive tumors. OMG it's a miracle!


Since that time, because of sutent side effects, I have been on three blood pressure pills, prilosec, and a pill for my thyroid (my thyroid is out of whack due to the sutent). My sutent cycle was reduced to 37.5mg two weeks on and two weeks off. My side effects have been greatly reduced. Food and life is a lot better. Now, I only have to get scans every 4 months instead of every 3 months.


Just 2 ½ years ago, I did not think I’d live to see one of my three children graduated from college. My wife and I will soon be celebrating 27 years of marriage and I did not think I would see our 25th anniversary. I recently celebrated my 50th birthday. And I hope and pray the Lord continues to bless me with His Grace! I want to live a long life and one-day look back in time.


Charlie "Chaz" Monteleone

Burlington, NC



Charlie is no longer with us here on earth.  He won his battle against kidney cancer and lives on in the hearts of those who knew and loved him!

1 comment:

Gina said...

Unfortunately on September 1, 2012, Charlie lost his battle with kidney cancer. It returned in his stomach and quickly went down hill within months. He fought a 5 year battle, most of it with a fairly good quality of life. Anyone who is out there fighting this battle, please don't be discouraged and continue to fight. New medications are coming out every year and I still believe there will someday be a cure for this disease.

Gina Monteleone
(Charlie's wife)

Blog Archive