PAYING IT FORWARD: kidney cancer patients and their loved ones sharing personal journeys and information obtained along the way, providing support to those who will unfortunately follow our paths while also honoring those who came before us.

Chain of Love: reaching forward with one hand to those who paved the path before us, reaching behind us with the other hand to those who will unfortunately follow our journey.

We Share Because We Care : Warriors Share Their Personal Kidney Cancer Journey


These stories are for the copyright of this blog only. Please do not copy personal stories without asking permission from the individual who wrote the story. Thank You!




Sunday, December 12, 2010

September 2010: Diana Lenartiene

Featuring and Written By: 
Diana Lenartiene



My Kidney Cancer Story

I am 63 years old, and have had kidney cancer diagnosed since 2001, when on August 16, I had a partial nephrectomy on my solitary left kidney. My right kidney had been removed in 1972 due to recurrent infections and urinary reflux. After my 2001 surgery, I was NED for nine years and then I had an ultrasound which indicated two tumors in the kidney. I was sent to a urologist who wanted nothing to do with something this serious, so he referred me to Gainesville, Florida's Shands Hospital where they have a nice, new cancer center.

They first thought they were going to do laparoscopic surgery, but that Dr. Said no way and had me see another doctor who does traditional open partial nephrectomies. By that time, they had discovered tumors in both lungs, so they had a tumor board meeting and decided on chemo.

I was sent to a third doctor who is my oncologist. He put me on sutent 50MG. Yesterday I finished the first four weeks and came out of it fairly well physically, with a little stomach, mouth and skin discomfort. Some days I was tired, but some I was the regular me!

I went back on July 30. They tested my blood and checked thyroid and uric acid levels. The acid was 1.4, but the doctor was not too worried about that. He told me I will have my CAT scan on September 13 when I also see him again. I am now halfway through my second course of Sutent.

I have been very grateful for the help and support I have received from Dick, Leigh, Allen, Pam and Sheila on the Kidney Cancer Warriors chat. It is so scary to be new to this and have no idea what to expect.

I have retired from my wonderful teaching career to fight this demon, and I WILL fight the good fight and do all that I can to help my body overcome these tumors and at least keep them stable and not growing or spreading.

On a humorous note, the only side effect I did not have and would have liked was weight loss! Only two or three pounds. Maybe on the next dose? I started dose 2 on July 26, and as of today have lost only seven pounds since the beginning of my treatment.

Thank you for reading my story.
Diana
Florida


Foxy

No comments:

Blog Archive